One of our favorite websites, DailyCandy, has created a highly involved Fashion Week experience for their readers. For nine months, they've played a "fly-on-a-wall" to nine talented and emerging designers, given access to their daily lives and the road to Fashion Week. Not only will you get an all-access peek, but on September 8th, Swirl by Daily Candy, the company's apparel and accessories site, will sell five of the designers' current fall collections.
Who are the designers?
- Chris Benz, 2004 winner of the CFDA's Emerging Designer Award. An alumnus of Marc Jacobs and J.Crew, Benz is also a delightfully uncensored tweeter.
- Albertus Swanepoel, an award-winning (Coty, 2008 CFDA runner-up, Swarovski accessories award nominee) milliner who collaborates with top designers and has created diffusion lines for Gap and Stetson.
- Eviana Hartman, the Bodkin designer and winner of Ecco Domani's first Sustainable Design Award in 2009. A former writer and editor (Vogue, Nylon), she now has a collaborative line with German brand Hessnatur.
- Samantha Pleet, co-recipient of the 2009 Ecco Domani Sustainable Award with Hartman for her work on Bodkin. Even while managing a menswear line and lower-priced line for Urban Outfitters called Rapscallion, she never forgets to water her garden.
- Tom Scott, a meticulous, Americana-obsessed designer, one of twelve chosen to be in CFDA'S Fashion Incubator program and winner of the 2007 Ecco Domani Fashion Foundation Award.
- LaQuan Smith (fave!), a 22-year-old newcomer from Queens who was featured in Vogue and The New York Times in his debut season. Mentored by Andre Leon Talley, his designs have been worn by Lady Gaga, Tyra Banks, Dakota Fanning, and Alicia Keys.
- Ann Yee, another newcomer. A former knitwear designer for Barneys, LaROK, Elizabeth and James, and Alice + Olivia, Yee's line has already appeared in some of DailyCandy's favorite stores (TG-170, Albertine).
- Whitney Pozgay, the designer of Whit. The former Steven Alan women's wear designer has a playful design sense inspired by France and her family (including her aunt, Kate Spade).
- Dana Lorenz, designer of Fenton/Fallon. The 2010 CFDA nominee maintains both fine (Fenton) and costume (Fallon) jewelry lines, as well as an NYC store. Most recently she partnered with J.Crew to create an exclusive jewelry collection.
What is so great about this campaign? Most people swoon and die over the fashions that come down the runway...and then wait for the styles to make their way down the fashion trendway (ie: think "Devil Wears Prada" when Miranda Priestly pwns Andy Sachs for laughing over belts). DailyCandy lends you the opportunity to see the collections develop, watch the shows, then you buy. Delightful!
Now go and visit DailyCandy Fashion Week 2011. Run!